These delightful taco shells are effective and tasty, not to mention keto.
Keto Taco Shells
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/4 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 oz Cream Cheese
- Coarse Sea Salt topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the almond flour and salt together before adding the egg.
- Put all the cheeses together and microwave for 1 minute before stirring. Microwave another 30 seconds.
- Mix both the cheeses ad the flour/egg mixture together until they are fully incorporated.
- Roll the dough out between cooking-sprayed parchment paper.
- Cut into desired size circles. Top with the coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes.
- Flip over and bake for 5-7 minutes.
The hardest part of these is definitely shaping them. I had to roll them out many times to get the taco sized circles I needed. There’s also the U shape. This can either be done immediately after both baking times and bent onto something to maintain the shape you want. Or, after flipping the tacos, put them onto a shape that wont fail in high temperatures, bake them the second half.
When I made them, I baked them both sides and then put them on Zip Tops using my hands to shape them. I think it would have been way more effective and easy to make a mold using aluminum foil and put that in the oven with them for the second half of the baking.
They weren’t the crispiest, but after finishing the shaping a few more minutes in the oven would solve that. This will make them break much easier though. Just be sure not to burn them!
There are a number of toppings/fillings that I recommend: Taco meat (ground beef, onion, taco seasoning), guacamole (avocado slides out too easily), sour cream, lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, and beans (refried/black- not exactly keto).