Keto recreation of store bought Cheese-Its.
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 3/4 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 oz Cream Cheese
- Coarse Sea Salt topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the almond flour and salt together before adding the egg.
- Put all the cheeses together and microwave for 1 minute before stirring. Microwave another 30 seconds.
- Mix both the cheeses and the flour/egg mixture together until they are fully incorporated.
- Roll the dough out between cooking-sprayed parchment paper.
- Slice into small squares using a pizza cutter. Top with the coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes.
- Flip all of the cheese-its over and bake for 5-7 minutes.
My wife absolutely loves these and asks for them all the time. They rarely last more than a few minutes.
Rolling them out to be even throughout is the hardest part about this recipe. Even if you roll them out nice and even, they will not necessarily cook evenly. One thing to be noted is that unless you are constantly taking out the more done ones, the whole batch will be varied in texture. There will be darkened crisp ones, light airy ones, and everything in between.
I don’t usually check for the thickness of the dough. I go by the size of the pizza pan I use and have the parchment paper squared instead of rectangular and just mostly fill it out.
The sharp cheddar is very important due to the mimicking of store bought cheese-its. They have the sharp cheddar taste so unless that is not the taste you want, it cannot be replaced. That being said, you can change around the ratio of mozzarella to sharp cheddar if you wished it, probably staying around the cup and a half range for texture consistency.
To flip the cheese-its mid cooking, you can either use a spatula or take the second piece of parchment paper from rolling them out and pinch the pieces together on the sides and flip the whole batch at once. If you use this method, be aware of the hot pan and that all the cheese-its are still connected, otherwise they would fall out.